RES: RES: Yugoslavia: what the media is hiding (The Guardian)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 06:12:27 PDT 2000

Agreed, that is why I said the analogy was imperfect. Turkey is probably a better analogy. --jks

In a message dated 10/8/00 4:37:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, afenelon at zaz.com.br writes:

<< Probably in a caudillo-type regime like Milosovic's, parlaiment is a lot

less

important than who el Chefe is. In an imperfect analogy, who cared who ran

the Supreme Soviet?

-It seems Milosevic´s Serbia is a bit more democratic than former USSR. I

would

-consider it not a dictatorship, but a "half democracy" like Turkey,

Malaysia

-Peru, or Russia. Opposition is tolerated, but elections were always unfair

due

-to fraud and unequal access to media, not to mention some degree of

repression. >>