RES: RES: RES: RES: Yugoslavia: what the media is hiding (The Guardian)

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Oct 9 16:49:48 PDT 2000

-- _Democracy_ is mostly a term of propaganda. One would first have to somehow force it to mean something definite; then, maybe, you could measure it. In the case of the boss media, for instance, it means "submits to imperial Capital while going through certain forms reminiscent of liberalism." So if Serbia reelected Milosevic, it would have been "not democratic", but because it elected an opponent it is now "democratic" -- although on probation, I'm sure, until it can be determined whether the new government will be sufficiently subservient. Subserbian.

-Yes, but I think it´s possible to evaluate degree of democracy -withouth propaganda, althought it remains somewhat subjective. -You wouldn´t deny that Serbia (before and after revolution) -or Russia are less democratic than Sweden and France and more -democratic than Saudi Arabia. Obviously, the Western press -manipulate those definitions. Our lright wing newspapers are -claiming that the last European dictator fell, being difficult -to believe why Serbia is less democratic than Russia, Belarus, -or Croatia (not to mention NATO protectorates Bosnia and Kosovo -whose administyration was not elected, btw)

Alexandre