RES: RES: RES: Yugoslavia: what the media is hiding (The Guardian)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Oct 9 15:29:41 PDT 2000

jks:
> > -It seems Milosevic´s Serbia is a bit more democratic than former USSR. I
> > would
> > -consider it not a dictatorship, but a "half democracy" like Turkey,
> > Malaysia
> > -Peru, or Russia. Opposition is tolerated, but elections were always
> unfair
> > due
> > -to fraud and unequal access to media, not to mention some degree of
> > repression. >>

wojtek:
> As opposed to the United States, where opposition (e.g. Ralph Nader) gets
> the full access to the media, presidential debates, and assorted public
> resources.

Alexandre Fenelon:
> -Don´t expect I wil defend American democracy here. I would consider USA
> -less democratic than European countries, but more democratic than Turkey
> -and Serbia. However, I think there is not a measure of democracy grade, is
> -it?

_Democracy_ is mostly a term of propaganda. One would first have to somehow force it to mean something definite; then, maybe, you could measure it. In the case of the boss media, for instance, it means "submits to imperial Capital while going through certain forms reminiscent of liberalism." So if Serbia reelected Milosevic, it would have been "not democratic", but because it elected an opponent it is now "democratic" -- although on probation, I'm sure, until it can be determined whether the new government will be sufficiently subservient. Subserbian.