"Exercise Found Effective Against Depression"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 11 08:14:33 PDT 2000

[Somebody – I forget who – was roundly denounced on this list a few weeks ago for suggesting that exercise might be useful in treating depression. Based on the following AP story, I think that person deserves an apology. {BTW, Barry Rene DeCicco has voiced frustration several times about LBOers posting the entire text of articles rather than just their URLs. I’m not sure what practice to follow, since I believe posting the text itself is more convenient for many readers. At any rate, the following is an excerpt only; the whole article can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/10/science/10FIT.html}]

Exercise Found Effective Against Depression

By The Associated Press

Washington, Oct. 9 — Exercise works at least as well as a popular prescription drug in treating clinical depression and keeping the condition from returning, researchers say.

Scientists at Duke University Medical Center tested exercise against the drug Zoloft and found the ability of either — or a combination of the two — to reduce or eliminate symptoms were about the same. But they found exercise seemed to do a better job of keeping symptoms from coming back after the depression lifted.

The findings suggest that a modest exercise program "is an effective, robust treatment for patients with major depression," said the report in the October issue of the journal Psychosomatic Medicine.

[end of excerpt]

Carl