"Exercise Found Effective Against Depression"

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 08:33:21 PDT 2000

--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote: > [Somebody – I forget who – was roundly denounced on
> this list a few weeks
> ago for suggesting that exercise might be useful in
> treating depression.
> Based on the following AP story, I think that person
> deserves an apology.

Hrrrm .... I don't remember it this way -- I don't think anyone denied the well-established fact that exercise helps depression. The point at issue was whether exercise was a suitable treatment for depressives to self-medicate, and indeed, whether there was any point in expecting someone in a state of depression to effect a self-cure by exercise.

dd, trying to get in quickly before someone else says the same thing more crossly :-)