"Exercise Found Effective Against Depression"

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 11 09:48:21 PDT 2000

At 04:33 PM 10/11/00 +0100, Daniel Davies wrote:

>--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote: >
>[Somebody ­ I forget who ­ was roundly denounced on
> > this list a few weeks
> > ago for suggesting that exercise might be useful in
> > treating depression.
> > Based on the following AP story, I think that person
> > deserves an apology.
>
>Hrrrm .... I don't remember it this way -- I don't
>think anyone denied the well-established fact that
>exercise helps depression. The point at issue was
>whether exercise was a suitable treatment for
>depressives to self-medicate, and indeed, whether
>there was any point in expecting someone in a state of
>depression to effect a self-cure by exercise.
>
>dd, trying to get in quickly before someone else says
>the same thing more crossly :-)

No, put it in context. Joanna posted to complain that the US relies too much on drugs to treat depression at the expense of other methods. Carrol gave Joanna a highanded lecture about how her views were ignorant. Reese jumped in, disgusted by the highanded treatment, attacked Carrol by suggesting that perhaps exercise was also an effective treatment. No where did Reese suggest that it was to be a form of self-medication. Carrol then told both J and R that they were ignorant and, worse, they were engaging in oppression against the disabled. Carrol also rightly explained that competent members of the medical community do consider exercise as part of the necessary treatment but that there were reasons why it didn't work. Apparently it does--AS LONG AS IT'S SUPERVISED.