The New Republic TRB THE HERETIC. (John Judis on Ron Radosh)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 12:47:48 PDT 2000

The contemptible John Judis, chronicaling the failure of Radosh to get a good academic job, writes:

> Radosh, as the historian Martin Sklar told me, is a victim of "left-wing
McCarthyism."

As a victim of the real thing, fired and then blackballed from academia because of left wing politics--despite being, in my case, a liberal democrat and a defender of frree markets--I regard this as an insult. There are a lot of reasons why people don't get academic jobs, or good ones, but conservative politics is rarely one of them, unless one is a rancorous, unpleasant, snide National Review sort of conservative, which radosh has become. This suggests that it is more his strident ideological style than his actual politics that has created problems for him. As for the supposedly left wing cast of the American historical profession, ask David Abraham. he had to go to law school too. And his book was LOTS betterthan anything Radosh has written.

--jks