everything's really ok

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Wed Oct 11 16:50:39 PDT 2000

OK, you don't always completely ignore IMF conditions.

Your Fortune article attributes the IMF's conditions to the Treasury Department's desire to mollify anti-IMF Congressmen who demand something "in return" for the bailout money. (Thus nicely deflecting responsibility for the IMF's conditions to the IMF's opponents!)

Am I the only person in the world who finds that argument totally implausible? What do you make of Mickey Kantor's quote, cited in Weisbrot's article: "the troubles of the tiger economies offered a golden opportunity for the West to reassert its commercial interests. When countries seek help from the IMF, Europe and America should use the IMF as a battering ram to gain advantage."

I suppose Kantor's a rogue elephant. No one at Treasury thinks this way. They only care about feeding the hungry...