Myrdal

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Wed Oct 11 18:53:31 PDT 2000

You are better off reading Oliver Cox, _Caste, Class, and Race_, than _The American Dilemma_, or at least in combination. Cox has a greatly overlooked Marxist critique of Myrdal. He did a book review of it as well as the critique contained in the book. Of recent critiques of Myrdal's culture of poverty theory, check out Stephen Steinberg's _Turning Back_. Both works do contain his elaboration of the notion of cumulative causation, an anti-equilibrium concept that has uses, but not the ones he puts it to, imo. So I prefer Kaldor, Veblen, Lowe on CC.

Mat

From: Sam Pawlett [mailto:rsp at uniserve.com]

Speaking of Gunnar Myrdal, I recently picked up his 3 volume work on Asia and 2 volume work on the USA for a couple of bucks. Are these worth reading? Kind of dated and pretty time consuming.

Sam Pawlett