debates

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 11 19:08:24 PDT 2000

Listening to Gore and Bush talk about foreign affairs sent me right to the remote to tune in the baseball game. What disgustingly blatant imperialism. What both say is that the US has the right to do whatever it pleases, wherever it pleses, whenever it pleases, all the while nouting the most grotessque lies. They were tripping over each other to support every type of military and covert action. It seems clear to me that the only possible response of someone who says he or she is a leftist is to oppose every foreign policy venture of the US, as strongly as you can. US government interests are business interests and as such are diametricaly opposed to the interests of workers and peasants everywhere in the world, including here in the US. In Yugoslavia, for example, we can rest assured that the masses of people there are going to experience rising misery and that capitalism is about to be fully restored. This is, among other good reasons, why leftists needed to oppose the US bombing and occupation there and why we must now oppose the dismantling of any elements of worker control and state property now in existence. If this puts us in temporary alliance with groups and persons we find objectionable, then this is what we must do anyway. Just as we had to support Stalin's government agaisnt the Nazis in WW2.

Michael Yates