debates

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 12 09:20:28 PDT 2000

Carl Remick wrote:

> I'm afraid that I am going to wind up voting for Gore as the lesser of two
> evils domestically; the race is too close to risk a protest vote for Nader.
> But I will do this with great reluctance. I think Gore presents the greater
> risk in terms of cruise-missile adverturism. Gore's "humanitarianism" is
> liberalism at its red-in-tooth-and-claw worst.

I wonder what sort of global massacre it is going to take to open "lesser-evil" eyes to the fact that the Republican Party is less dangerous to human survival than the Democratic Party. Political conditions will become steadily more unfriendly to progressive issues, imperialist savagery will become more and more effective, the *real* as opposed to merely theoretical right to an abortion (or any kind of medical care) will become a more and more distant prospect, as long as the Democratic Party holds this strange grip on would-be progressives. What sort of disaster will break this grip?

If Gore wins this election, the Democratic nominee in 2012 will be to the right of Ronald Reagan politically.

Carrol