Beaudrillard's America (was Re: debates)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 12 12:35:20 PDT 2000

Carrol:

>I wonder what sort of global massacre it is going to take to open
>"lesser-evil"
>eyes to the fact that the Republican Party is less dangerous to human survival
>than the Democratic Party.

Not until the U.S. government reinstates the national draft and sends its white youths in a ground war with no end in sight. Wait until body bags start piling up. Wars are not real for most Americans, because since the Civil War no war has been fought on its mainland. Maybe, this is what Jean Beaudrillard wanted to say. :)

Americans _go_ to war; war doesn't come to them, so it can't touch them in the depth of their social being.

Yoshie

P.S. If I stay in America long enough, I might start recommending nuclear proliferation. :)