debates

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Oct 12 10:36:21 PDT 2000

Carl Remick:
> I'm afraid that I am going to wind up voting for Gore as the lesser of two
> evils domestically; the race is too close to risk a protest vote for Nader.
> But I will do this with great reluctance. I think Gore presents the greater
> risk in terms of cruise-missile adverturism. Gore's "humanitarianism" is
> liberalism at its red-in-tooth-and-claw worst.

I think you can feel fairly confident that the election will not be decided by your single vote. That being the case, I recommend that you consider voting for someone not tainted by promoting crimes against humanity. Besides imperialism, I refer to the Drug War and the prison-industrial complex.

Hidden in the word "vote" is the idea of vow or devotion, of making a gift which binds the giver to the receiver. There are things and people to which one should not bind oneself if one can avoid doing so; it is too depressing in both action and recollection.