Modern John Brown: Herbert Aptheker

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Oct 12 14:18:09 PDT 2000

Most of them are common currency now. A great deal of the book is concrete empirical research, establishing the factaul terrain in ways that had not been done. The book went a long way to deflating the US's claim to be a place with liberty and justice for all in the mid last century.

And what are Herb A's insights that are so much deeper? I mean, I have actually read them both. Have you? Herb is OK, a decent if somewhat pedestrian historian; his heart in the right place; his reserach is merely adequate. He's not a great scholar or first class intellect like DuBois, but I guess he wouldn't claim to be. --jks

In a message dated Thu, 12 Oct 2000 5:06:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> writes:

<<
>>> JKSCHW at aol.com 10/11/00 04:16PM >>>
If it were true, which it is not, they would be fools. Myrdal's book is a great classic of sociology. I think he had great insights into race in America. You don't have to be radical to have insights (though it helps).

CB: What were those great insights ?