"guilty" and "innocent" (was Re: debates)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 13 10:40:43 PDT 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>At 10:22 PM 10/12/00 -0400, Yosgie quoted our fearless leader saying:
>>``If, as it now appears, this was an act of terrorism it was a
>>despicable and cowardly act. We will find out who was responsible and
>>hold them accountable,'' President Clinton said.... *****
>>

>As opposed to firing cruise missiles at a pharamaceutical plant, bombing a
>passanger train, downing a commercial airliner, slaughtering women and
>children - not to mention countless less publicized acts of Yank war
>heroism.

Today's New York Post headline is "Cowards!," referring of course to the suicide bombers. Curious usage: they deliberately chose to die in a purely military mission; the U.S. Air Force bombs civilians and civilian-related infrastructrure from a miles in the air, fearful of even a single casualty. Who's the coward?

Doug