Radosh/Rosenberg File

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 15:27:34 PDT 2000

All right, someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The upshot of "The Rosenberg Files" is that:

1) Based on the voluminous documentation presented in the book, Ethel Rosenberg in all likelihood did not commit the crime for which she was executed, and may not have even consciously spied for the USSR;

2) Based on the voluminous documentation presented in the book, Julius Rosenberg in all likelihood did not commit a capital crime, but he was a spy for the USSR;

3) The arrest, trial, and execution of the Rosenbergs was justified and was in fact a triumph of American justice, and people on the Left who still criticize it are simply refusing to face reality, and are hopeless dupes at best, if not outright apologists for treason.

Now, the only way I see 1) and 2) implying 3) is by accepting an unstated assumption something like the following: Julius deserved death because he was a Soviet spy, and Ethel deserved death because she loved a Soviet spy.

OK, maybe I was just born to late and my coddled, TV- and marijuana-addled brain is incapable of grasping the iron logic of that Greatest Generation that brought us the Cold War--but I don't get it.

BTW, I'm apparently not alone in my confusion. I checked out Amazon.com, where one can add one's own amateur book review. (Yes, I know this represents neither scholarly evidence nor a scientific sample. It’s amusing, OK?) There were three.

One said, "The book centers on that misuse of judicial power and how the Rosenberg's' [sic] were executed through the lynch mob mentality. The overwhelming evidence presented in this book amazed me."

Another said, "For over thirty years, there was controversy sorrounding [sic] the Rosenbergs' trial. We heard the evidence was faked, that the witnesses were unreliable, that there was a more than reasonable doubt as to the Rosenbergs' guilt. This is the book that settled all that for all rational readers. Ronald Radosh and Joyce Milton used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain thousands of pages of documents from the FBI files, as well as interviews with surviving major participants, and showed beyond any reasonable doubt that the Rosenbergs and Morton Sobell were guilty as charged, and fairly tried to boot. Since then, the collapse of the USSR and the release of the VENONA decrypts have provided additional proof they were right on all major points (this evidence is reviewed in the new introduction)."

Oh, yeah, three reviews. The other one said: "I read the book only to determine whether or not Clinton should be executed for selling W88 secrets to China. The answer is yes, Clinton should be executed post haste."

The intellectual legacy and logic of the Cold War--I don't get it.