Radosh/Rosenberg File

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Oct 13 15:38:49 PDT 2000

>All right, someone correct me if I'm wrong:
>
>The upshot of "The Rosenberg Files" is that:
>
>1) Based on the voluminous documentation presented in the book,
>Ethel Rosenberg in all likelihood did not commit the crime for which
>she was executed, and may not have even consciously spied for the
>USSR;
>
>2) Based on the voluminous documentation presented in the book,
>Julius Rosenberg in all likelihood did not commit a capital crime,
>but he was a spy for the USSR;
>
>3) The arrest, trial, and execution of the Rosenbergs was justified
>and was in fact a triumph of American justice, and people on the
>Left who still criticize it are simply refusing to face reality, and
>are hopeless dupes at best, if not outright apologists for treason.

I think that Milton and Radosh's position was that given the hysteria of the moment, the fact that the American justice system only bent as far as it did is a sign of the strength of American institutions.

Nevertheless, when I read _The Rosenberg File_ I remember thinking that Ethel Rosenberg would not agree. And that _The Rosenberg File_ demonstrated convincingly that the trial was a gross miscarriage of justice.

Brad DeLong