Said on American Zionism

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Oct 13 19:17:48 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/13/00 6:34:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU writes:

<< Why was Hajj Amin a Nazi?

Why did Arafat's organization decide that killing olympic athletes

was a peachy-keen thing to do? Why the prolonged refusal to recognize

Israel? >>

OK, there are answers, Amin wasn't a Nazi, but he was anti-Brit, because the Brits were occupiers of Palestine, and a lot of Arabs did not care about European politics but figured that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. "Arafat's organization" did not organize the Munich raid: Al Fatah was a big umbrella group, rather like the AFL-CIO, with a lot of restive and uncontrollable factions, one of whom thought that that sort of dramatic "statement" would somehow help the cause of Palestinian freedom. Palestineans declined to recognize Israel for a long time, initially, because they thought that Israel was an illegitimate imperialit settler state that stole their land, and later, because recognition was a political bargaining chip. Any other questions? --jks