Said on American Zionism

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Oct 14 08:11:20 PDT 2000

>In a message dated 10/13/00 6:34:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>
><< Why was Hajj Amin a Nazi?
> Why did Arafat's organization decide that killing olympic athletes
> was a peachy-keen thing to do? Why the prolonged refusal to recognize
> Israel? >>
>
>OK, there are answers, Amin wasn't a Nazi, but he was anti-Brit, because the
>Brits were occupiers of Palestine, and a lot of Arabs did not care about
>European politics but figured that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Yes. Think of what Pat Buchanan would do if Virginia were still a British colony, and the British were organizing mass immigration of clans of Zulus.

>"Arafat's organization" did not organize the Munich raid: Al Fatah was a big
>umbrella group, rather like the AFL-CIO, with a lot of restive and
>uncontrollable factions, one of whom thought that that sort of dramatic
>"statement" would somehow help the cause of Palestinian freedom.

I have been told that that's highly, highly unlikely: Black September were Arafat's people...

>Palestineans
>declined to recognize Israel for a long time, initially, because they thought
>that Israel was an illegitimate imperialit settler state that stole their
>land, and later, because recognition was a political bargaining chip.

Say--as the father of one of my high school friends told me in 1974--that non-recognition was the Palestinian's *only* political bargaining chip.

>Any
>other questions? --jks

But my point is that these questions are not ones that anyone should hesitate to answer: it's not insulting to be asked them...

Brad DeLong