debates was guilty / innocent was debates

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 16 03:05:07 PDT 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

> sense of nonidentity... The aim being to brush desire against itself to
> reveal its constitutive untruth - which is nothing other than the
> enjoyment of shit.

Nowadays it's the desire-to-tape, as William S. Burroughs would have put it. Recording, re-recording, re-re-recording, etc. Which is why Freud came up with the notion of Thanatos: a realm beyond Desire, where Desire would be stilled, and subjects could chill out and, like, you know, read Soseki novels and drink expensive sparkling wines from France.

By the way, have I mentioned that the Mets rock?

-- Dennis