Fwd: <nettime> Funeral

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 16 07:14:24 PDT 2000

[via nettime]

DEATH NOTICE

It's time... Please join us in person or in spirit as we mourn the passing of San Francisco Culture. At two o'clock on Saturday October 21th we will convene at Union Square and proceed up Market Street bearing a coffin to the Steps of City Hall. The procession will include a marching band and police escort ending with speakers, performances, and celebration.

Maybe you've watched this unique city's culture, built on diversity and a thriving art community, being strangled by blindly managed growth in recent years. What happened? How can we influence the social impacts of our new economy?

Our purpose is not just another protest; it's a theatrical event we hope will increase public awareness, create solidarity and raise issues of how change can be implemented. Those who remain in San Francisco must band together to uphold the integrity of one of the world's most inspiring cities. Let's advertise to our local government the urgency of creating new reforms.

We request that all participants wear somber attire befitting a funeral march. Signs and costumes are encouraged.

Feel free to send us your suggestions and contact us for further information. And pass the word.

Sincerely,

Bryan Lee

Stain Gallery

stain1200 at hotmail.com (415)552-2775

_ _

@ @

L ?

~ ~

,

A PARTIAL LIST OF CASUALTIES

- Dancer's Group Studio on 22nd and Mission

- Dance Mission Theater at 24th and Mission

- Brady Street Dance Theater

- Downtown Rehearsal Space (2000 musicians

comprising some 500 bands)

- Art Explosion

- Division Hi-Fi

- 25 small businesses and non-profits that lost their

leases in the Bayview Bank Building on 22nd and

Mission

- Housing Rights Committee

- San Francisco CinÈmathËque

- Cine Accion

- Film Arts Foundation

- Frameline

- The Jewish Film Festival

- Nearly 60 small businesses and artists who have

been displaced by the Bryant Square development

project on Bryant and 20th

- The American Indian Contemporary Art Group and

Gallery

- S.F. Camerworks

- Z Space Studio

- The Clarion Alley Mural Project

- Quonset Hut (photographer Jon Zax and other

artists

- 20 artists at Stevenson Alley building

- Centro Social Obrero

Farewell to 50% of the Non-Profit Organizations in San Francisco

such as:

- National Asian American Telecommunications

Association

- National Alliance for Media Arts

- Lines Contemporary Dance Company

- San Francisco Dance Center