RES: Said on American Zionism

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Oct 16 11:43:11 PDT 2000

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de brettk at unicacorp.com Enviada em: segunda-feira, 16 de outubro de 2000 15:43 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: Said on American Zionism

Brad de Long wrote

>Well, it *is* the only democracy in the region, and when you compare
>even a Binyamin Netanyahu to a Hafez Assad there does seem to be a
>very clear difference. More important, however, is that a lot of
>American Jews care enough about Israel to make it them single-issue
>voters, and a lot of non-Jews feel responsible for the failure of the
>U.S. to have prevented the extermination of half the world's Jews
>between 1941 and 1945...

Sorry, but Israel cannot be defined as a democracy, since it denies citizenship rights to more than 25% of its inhabitants (Arafat and his ANP are no more than a bantustan government) and lacks a civil code, so inter religion mariage is not recognized. This creates effective segregation between arabs and Jews. I think Israel is much more similar to former South Africa, than to Western burgueoise democracies.The only diference is that in Israel the opressors are majority. Btw: South Africa also had "democratic institutions" (only for whites)

Alexandre Fenelon