Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Tue Oct 17 01:38:11 PDT 2000

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Carl Remick wrote:

> >i'm trying to understand why the Left is so against GM food.
>
> As I've said here in the past, the reason I oppose GM food is the risk it
> presents in terms of adverse heritable traits escaping into the wild and
> creating ecological threats similar to those caused by non-native invasive
> species. I do not think that risk can be adequately managed so long as
> GM-food research is conducted under the auspices of profit-seeking
> organizations.

That's one reason, but personally I find the fact the GM strategies are (quite clearly, if you look into the evidence) strategies for increasing the power of the agribusiness giants (Monsanto, Novartis, etc.) a much more compelling argument. Immediate threats to food security, through the mechanism of further re-organisation of the world food supply, along with concentration of the proportion of the world's foods into less and less diverse species, are my major concerns.

I've got tons of info on this, but its all in hardcopy.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844