guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 17 09:34:17 PDT 2000

At 02:26 PM 10/17/00 +0100, James H. wrote:
>All the same, I find it hard to believe that you could argue for a
>disarming of the populace without reinforcing their dependence upon the
>state.

It is not about arms but organization of people with arms. Guns ownership is not uniformly spread across society, only certain segments of society have them. Historically, the ruling classes were very effective in mobilizing that segment of society against the other segments which tried to use elections and civic institutions to advance interests of working class people. Franco, Mussolini, Hitler and Reagan are cases in point.

In short, armed thugs usually undermine working class interests, not strengthen them.

As I alredy said time and again, it is not about guns but people who have them.

wojtek