guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 10:06:58 PDT 2000

In message <p04330105b6122c7f1c75@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Unlike anti-gun lefties, I'm not totally immune to this argument, but
>the U.S. isn't an inspiring test case. Is there any more
>depoliticized and alienated populace in the world? Is there any
>ruling class whose rule is stronger and less challenged?

Well, yes, I take your rhetorical point (though to be pedantic, I suspect the Russian populace is more depoliticised and alienated).

Of course there is nothing empowering about being armed in itself. But being disarmed is generally associated with being defeated (as in Belfast, Salvador). I do think that US leftists are much more attuned to hearing the paranoia towards other people in the pro-gun lobby than they are the paranoia towards other people in the anti-gun lobby. -- James Heartfield