guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 12:45:20 PDT 2000

Yeah. I follow those burly miscreants, the S.Ct. The opinion clearly confined the constitutional right to bear arms to "the militias the stateswere expected to maintain and train." 307 US at 178. There is some further discussionof the original meaning, which is intended to illuminate the text, but even in a McReynolds opinion, the New Deal Court wasn't originalist. The militias the states maintain and train ina modern context are the National Guard. There is not a federal court outside of certain judges in Texas who will say different. --jks

In a message dated Wed, 18 Oct 2000 2:24:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Matt Cramer <cramer at unix01.voicenet.com> writes:

<< On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> These are different arguments than the absurd notion that private gun
> ownership keeps tyranny in check. I don't think they hold water, but they
are
> not stupid, unlike that argument. And from a legal professional's point of
> view, the 2d A doesn't guarantee a private citizen's right to bear arms
> outside the context of the National Guard. --jks

Unless, of course, you are one of those pesky legal professionals who happen to follow the decisions of those wild and burly miscreants, the Supreme Court of the United States:

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

-United States vs. Miller (1939)

It is not as simple as your hand-waving might imply.

If you want to talk of things "stupid", then what is stupid is this strange hypothesis that "the people" means something completely different for that one, single, ammendment. Or do you propose a limit on free-speech to one weekend a month, and only in a "speech camp"?

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ The true method of knowledge is experiment.

-William Blake