Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:59:22 PDT 2000

At 02:41 20-10-00, you wrote:
>>From: James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk>
>>
>>I<...>
>>Indeed they have. My point was only that the introduction of GM
>>technology represented no obvious departure from the already established
>>capitalisation of the food chain.
>
>Nonsense. "Advancements" like terminator gene technology would greatly
>intensify capitalists' control of the food chain.
>
>Carl

Yes. And terminator gene aside, the continual contamination of non-GM fields with GM crops:brings up the question of control. Check out this lawsuit in Saskatchewan, Canada:

"Excerpt from Macleans Magazine May 17, 1999. Article by Mark Nichols

"For 40 years, Percy Schmeiser has grown canola on his farm near Bruno, Sask., about 80 km east of Saskatoon, usually sowing each crop of the oil-rich plants with seeds saved from the previous harvest. And he has never, says Schmeiser, purchased seed from the St. Louis, Mo.-based agricultural and biotechnology giant Monsanto Co. Even so, he says that more than 320 hectares of his land is now "contaminated" by Monsanto's herbicide-resistant Roundup Ready canola, a man made variety produced by a controversial process known as genetic engineering. And, like hundreds of other North American farmer, Schmeiser has felt the sting of Monsanto's long legal arm: last August the company took the 68-year-old farmer to court, claiming he illegally planted the firm's canola without paying a $37-per-hectare fee for the privilege. Unlike scores of similarly accused North American farmers who have reached out-of-court settlements with Monsanto, Schmeiser fought back. He claims Monsanto investigators trespassed on his land -- and that company seed could easily have blown on to his soil from passing canola-laden trucks. "I never put those plants on my land," says Schmeiser. "The question is, where do Monsanto's rights end and mine begin?"

From http://www.fightfrankenfood.com/conflict.htm#Nichols

Joanna