Obviously (what's the Left problem with GM food?)

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 10:36:27 PDT 2000

I wrote

Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> replied

>Nonsense. "Advancements" like terminator gene technology would greatly
>intensify capitalists' control of the food chain.

To which, again, I have to say, what do you mean 'intensify'? The capitalist's control of the food chain is, as things stand, wholly unchallenged. It certainly is not challenged by small businessmen, with their lips fastened to the state tit, demanding ever greater subsidies for their crappy, poisonous and over-expensive food.

In Britain certainly, and I guess elsewhere too, it is small producers who are most culpable for cases of e-coli poisoning, as well as over- charging and underpaying their hands. I suppose social justice demands that these people be given some kind of re-training for a more worthwhile career, but I see no reason whatsoever to retain their medieval farming techniques at the expense of the rest of society.

I am glad to say that the organic food stall at my local supermarket is shunned like the plague, with its shrivelled, over-priced fruit and veg rotting unattractively in the corner. And to think that the government is paying these useless farmers to make this dried up old crap! -- James Heartfield