differentia specifica (was: guns & purses (was Re: guns & crime)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 07:38:49 PDT 2000

Recent work by Gary Wills and others doesn't support this. Apparently guns were unsual in colonial days because theyw ere expensive, unreliable, and inaccurate. What put a gun in every housew was the federal government during the Civil War--the NRA started after the war to help train the newsly armed citizenry not to kill itself by accident. So, ironically, guns were not a bulkwark of liberty against the government. It was the hated tyrannical jackbooted feds who put guns into your cold dead fingers. --jks