"Heterosexual Marriage"!

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Sat Oct 21 08:06:30 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:16:10 -0400 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I am arguing that the point is to abolish heterosexism, as well as
capitalism and all other oppressions, and then our modern categories of sexual orientation will be irrelevant.

This is where we disagree. You're arguing that heterosexuality is *essentially* heterosexist and, further, that the elimination of heterosexuality will eliminate heterosexism. First, I'll agree. Heterosexuality is a hegemonic discourse that is historically heterosexist. Second, I disagree that these forms essentially related. I don't this that being 'heterosexual' necessarily entails being a bigot. The argument you present circular and static.

> >As for the eroticization of power, I suspect as long as human
> >beings are passionate beings, power will always be eroticized in one form or
> >another.

> Why? Will rape be always "sexy" -- a material of fantasy for some
> as it is now? Will rape always exist, even after the abolition of
> class society, gender oppression, oppression of "sexual deviants,"
> and all other oppressions? Maybe you suffer from the poverty of
> imagination as well as of philosophy.

You're making the claim that fantasy essentially translates into concrete reality (the fantasy of rape = actual rape). And then insinuate that I'm suffering from the poverty of imagination.

ken