Georgia reform endorses Nader

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sun Oct 22 06:24:03 PDT 2000

>From Doug's neighborhood newspaper, :o)

Published October 18 - 24, 2000 villagevoice.com exclusive

Georgia Reform Party Cans Buchanan, Backs Nader by James Ridgeway

October 20—The Reform Party in Georgia has bolted the Pat Buchanan camp and gone over to Green candidate Ralph Nader.

Said Georgia Reform vice-chair Jerry Reed: "I've always admired Nader personally....He's always been a top-drawer, honest person. I would have

liked to see him run in the Reform Party."

Buchanan press secretary K.B. Forbes told the Macon Telegraph "the lack of support" from Reed's organization, which is not recognized by the national party, is "irrelevant and inconsequential."

The Georgia defection follows Wednesday's press conference in Texas where three former Reform Party top officials—Paul Truax, who founded the Reform Party with Ross Perot in 1992; Leep Pepper, former state chair; and former Tarrant County chair Sandy Madison—went over to Nader. The trio claim Nader's goals are closer to those of the original Reform Party than are Buchanan's.