Fwd: Offlist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 22 12:10:59 PDT 2000

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:05:18 -0400 From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us>

>>> chris at susi.net 10/22/00 04:40AM >>>

I hate to say it, I believe that is a reflection of not just human nature, but nature in general. You will find many instances of colonies of individual animals that support each other in varying ways and thereby all members are benefited. However, are there instance where colonies of life will actively support remote dying colonies of a similar life (mammals, birds, fish, bacteria)? Or is this something new to humanity?

CB: Humans are reputed to be social beings, meaning in contrast to other species there is more social intercourse among humans, including rescues of the type you mention. However, humans are sort of anti-social beings too, in that I don't know of other species that go way on the other side of the world and kill millions of their own species ( who are not starving) like humans do in wars.

> I think somebody's been spending a little too much time in the
> libertarian newsgroups . . .

Anyhow, if you caught my original post, I said I go back and forth on this issue and have varying thoughts. I could argue the other way but then I'd get 1,000 list members agreeing with me. This way I get to play devils advocate and look for arguments I hadn't thought of, or maybe challenge others to think in a way they hadn't considered before.

(((((((((

CB: Indeed. I am the Devil hisself, and I don't remember asking you to advocate for me. Speak for yourself.