Revitalizing American Unionism

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:29:39 PDT 2000

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

> Actually, I helped organize one of the very first successful grad unions, at
> the University of Toronto, in the late 70s and early 80s. I think I have a

Then you know that grad unions, due to their very structure (temp workers, professional specialization) *have* to organize, each and every semester or quarter, and build organizing into their very structure. Members have to step up and run *their union*, instead of being bailed out by a professional staff. Which doesn't mean that folks won't ever make mistakes with their newfound power or that peace and harmony breaks out; but the long-term result is a much stronger, broader, deeper union, capable of a popular mobilization which traditional biz unions can only dream of.

-- Dennis