Fwd: Latest Presidential Election Numbers from www.gallup.com

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 23 10:48:17 PDT 2000

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Chuck0 wrote:
>
> > You only need to look at the German Greens to understand how an American
> > version will turn out.
>
> You mean, a party which gets folks elected to positions of real power,
> fights tooth and nail for social justice in the face of overwhelming
> neoliberal opposition, and scotches military spending in favor of
> renewable energy and the welfare state's children's funds? Sign me up!

And support (give left cover to) the murder of civilians in Serbia by a campaign of terrorist bombing? Is that what makes you anxious to sign up? I missed Chuck 0's original post -- but if he was suggesting that Greens in office were not to be trusted, I would agree with him. (Incidentally, in a panel at the Marxism 2000 conference John Bellamy Foster argued parenthetically that the Greens did not make very promising allies. I forget his exact argument -- perhaps that point will be brought out in the virtual seminar to be held on his book.)

Carrol