Survivor!

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 11:49:24 PDT 2000

> >yeah, well it could be old age
> >but i don't comprehend the 'libertarian political philosophy' thing at
>all
> >this would be neo-locke or something?
>
>Well, I'd be happy calling it neo-Locke but I'm sure Justin'll put us
>right.

The "neo-Locke" variant is one kind of libertarianism, espoused most famously by Robert Nozick and perhaps more intelligently by Richard Epstein. But there are others: Jan Narveson has a sort of utilitarian lib; Loren Lomasky a neo-Kantian one; Hayek's is a different sort altogether, being based on non-utilitarian consequentialist arguments on the one hand and a sort of Noetzschean-Weberian constructivism about ethics on the other. But in America, lib and a neo-Lockean natural rights view tend to go together. --jks _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.