Survivor!

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:05:34 PDT 2000

No, what I meant is that there are NOT obvious answers to the question Why Should I Be Moral (or if my beautiful Kells is right about how it should be phrased) Why Should I Care About Anyone Else, if the premise is What's In it For Me? In his Morals by Consent David Gauthier has produced a heroic attempt to show that mere self-interest will produced "constrained maximization," a sort of homo economicus substitute for caring about anyone else, which he identifies with "morality." I think the general consebsus is that it doesn't work. Russell Hardin has a similar story that also doesn't work. Maybe we just have not got the right version of the theory yet, but I suspect that trying to get other-regarding attitudes out of self-regarding ones is like trying to get milk from a bull. (Don't think those thoughts, Kells love!, you know that is not what I mean.)

I can understand why my irresistable Kelly was disappointed in my unsubtle phrasing of the pragmatic answer to the egoist or amoralist or whatever you want to call him, but I was paraphrasing J.S. Mill (and I presume Harriet Taylor), who says that the basis of motivation to care for others is the desire for fellow feeling, or to be at one with her fellows; for the person in whom that feeling is lacking, says Mill (and Taylor) is lacking, only external sanctions will serve. I also agree with Wojtek that there really are very few stone egoists, and if we find someone who acts like one, we will treat him like a dangerous psychopath and probably elect him to high political office.

Kisses

jks