LBO = flame city? (was RE: Survivor!)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 26 14:25:53 PDT 2000

At 08:57 PM 10/26/00 +0000, jordan wrote:
>As for "accidents waiting to happen" you'd better get rid of ladders,
>swimming pools and showers first: check the accident rate for those
>things, I tell ya: much higher than guns.

Hmmmm... how do you calculate those rates? Per capita can be quite deceptive because people use ladders or showers more often than guns. A more valid rate would be per unit of time of actual use - but that is almost impossible to measure.

PS. I think that guns are more accident-bound not because they are inherently more dangerous to use than, say, ladders, but because of the idiots who believe that having them is their god-given right and they need no training, safety precaution or, for that matter, thinking 2 minutes ahead.

wojtek