Bye, Bye, Imperial Pie

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Oct 30 14:33:15 PST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 LeoCasey at aol.com crossposted:

> Unsafe in any state
> By Todd Gitlin
> than not. If Nader had run in the primaries, or half the Naderite energy
> went to organizing a Million Human March to welcome Gore to Washington the
> day after he's inaugurated, we on the left would stand a reasonable chance of
> seeing a Gore more to our liking.

(Yawn). On the bright side, it's significant that (1) Gitlin can't come up with a single concrete example of how the Greens or Nader are acting like juvenile, sectarian airheads, and (2) says not one word about our old friend, global capitalism. He's reduced to quoting a Times article about how some nameless voter in Oregon feels, and then citing Eric "Fact-Checker? What Fact-checker?" Alterman, in a fine example of how a historically neutralized ideology circles aimlessly around its cancelled-out preconditions, trying to work the social magic it once possessed, and thereby converging with precisely the dismal reality it was once meant to rebel against.

-- Dennis