Bye, Bye, Imperial Pie

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 31 07:23:13 PST 2000

At 02:33 PM 10/30/00 -0800, dennis wrote:
>are acting like juvenile, sectarian airheads, and (2) says not one word
>about our old friend, global capitalism. He's reduced to quoting a Times

What does voting for Nader have to do with global capitalism?

I hear the Nader crowd saying "Global capitalism is coming to get you! Vote for Nader." They could as well be saying "The end is coming! Repent!" How is the voting for Nader going to stop the advancement of global capitalism, or even change the attitudes of corporate Amerika? He hasn't managed to get elected dog catcher, let alone derail global capitalism.

Gitlin's piece, OTOH, makes one valid point - Bush's election might have dire and long lasting consequences for progressives just as Reagan's reign did - voting for Nader will certainly not help to avert that threat, and may even facilitate it.

wojtek