NYT on Bush judge appointments

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 30 14:49:17 PST 2000

Max Sawicky quoted:

>Recently, Mr. Nader has said that:
>
>--IF GIVEN A CHOICE BETWEEN BUSH AND GORE, HE WOULD VOTE FOR BUSH. Mr.
>Nader would happily throw the country to the Right, placing the Supreme
>Court and the entire executive regulatory system in the hands of the most
>retrograde elements in our political life.
>
>--ENVIRONMENTAL REACTIONARIES SERVE A POSITIVE FUNCTION. Mr. Nader has
>argued that past appointments like Reagan's Secretary of the Interior
>James Watt usefully serve as "provocateurs" for change. He has also
>denounced the Sierra Club and other long-standing allies for their
>"servile mentality" in not supporting him.
>
>--THE REPEAL OF ROE V. WADE WOULD BE OF LITTLE CONSEQUENCE. Never a
>champion of women's rights, Mr. Nader claims that abortion rights might
>just as well be left up to the states.
>
>--ALL U.S. AID TO ISRAEL SHOULD BE CUT. No matter what one thinks of the
>current situation in the Middle East, such rhetoric is not only
>irresponsible, it is inflammatory.

Wow, this is some devious crap. When did RN say he'd vote for Bush? The distortion of the Roe v Wade quote is sloppy coming from an alleged scholar. And what's this "irresponsible...inflammatory" nonsense? Seems courageous to me, given the standards of American politics.

By the way, fairness dictates I say this: there's a quote making the rounds that looks like Gore's endorsement of Clarence Thomas. In fact, it's taken out of context, from a speech on the Senate floor that was mostly critical. And it's also being claimed by some Naderites that Gore and Lieberman voted to confirm THomas. They didn't.

Doug