Eric Hobsbawm

Anita Mage mage at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 31 11:21:14 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>
>>pressimistic
>
>Better not read so much, then.

oh, i have to agree here with Justin that Hobsbawm's one of the best.

I once had the great good fortune to take a seminar with Hobsbawm at the GF, it was an introductory seminar with a focus on historiography and methods that he taught together with Robert Proctor. Proctor suggested I write my term paper on class and gender - Joan Scott had recently written a longer article on gender as a category of historical analysis and this stuff was current at the time, and i young and influencable, took up his suggestion. when i went to meet hobsbawm to discuss my paper proposal, he was very kind but not interested in the subject. so proctor was my main advisor on that one.

Anita