_New Left Review_

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 19:30:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/4/00 4:47:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU writes:

<< Mike Davis are both, I think, highly overrated. Peter Gowan seems

to me to be an idiot... >>

I disagree with these appraisals. Davis seems to be a brilliant writer on the city--his LA books are beautifully written, deeply informed, and very exciting. I haven't read his book on the working class for ages, but I liked it a lot when I did read it. I don't knwo Gowan all that well, but I have read what he has written in NLR, and two pieces stick in my head, one an excellent analysis of the Gulf War, and the other apiece on how US foreign policy contrbuted to the collapse of communism--the latter piece I am acyually qualified to evaluate, and I thought it first rate. I have his book on the Global Gamble, incorporating those pieces among others, and it is high on my reading list. --jks