Why You've Never Heard of Carroll Quigley

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 19:38:42 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/4/00 9:22:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fancher at pacbell.net writes:

<< though one must wonder why a "stupid" person was allowed to shape

the world views of potential U.S. Foreign Service employess at Georgetown

University for 30 years. >>

Well, I have only heard of Q in a vague for of way, so I make no judgments about him, but the way tenure works is that if, by whatever mischance, you get it, you can keep teaching and writing, sometimes from a prestigious positioon, even if you are a total idiot. Having various degrees from Princetron, Michigan, Cambridge, and Ohio State, and having spent many years in the biz until I left for law, I can say from personal experience that the top schools have a good sprinlking of tenured fools and cranks. --jks