car exhaust kills?

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 02:18:48 PDT 2000

> Indeed if we were to directly correlate vehicle
> registration with deaths
> from bronchitis . . . . . .

then we would incur the wrath of the house pedant, and on a matter far more important than the word "ilk". The data presented below can *only* misinform. The best, most useful effect it can have is to be meaningless. It's blindingly obvious that significant variables have been left out of the implied model here. There's no "but still ..." about it. The only point the data below could possibly serve to establish would be that car registrations did not deterministically cause deaths from bronchitis, a point which nobody was asserting. Statistics is a noble art, which deserves better treatment than "Indeed ...."

grrrrrr

dd