Rock N Roll Royalties

Aaron Pacitti aaron.pacitti at american.edu
Sat Sep 9 16:46:30 PDT 2000

> Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:18:53 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Michael Hoover <hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us>
> Subject: Re: IP + personal matters

> And what Jon King (Gang of Four) told me some years ago, "the vast
> majority of musicians don't actually get paid, they in fact have day
> jobs" holds true for vast majority of writers.

Having quite a few friends in the Cleveland, OH music scene, I can say this is virtually a truism. The couple of friends I know who quit their day jobs to focus on rock n' roll ended up going back within a few weeks. The others that do work 'most of the time' are temps so they can 'time-off' relatively easy for touring.

As far as royalties go, a good friend of mine in a band called The GC5 gets 'paid' by buying X amount of CDs from their label (Outsider) for cost. They then get to sell them for whatever price they choose. They don't, I'm fairly certain, see any money from the label.

Aaron