RATS

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 13 09:58:43 PDT 2000

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:34:50 -0700 (PDT) From: Michael Pollak <mdpollak at yahoo.com> Reply-To: mpollak at panix.com Subject: Fwd: Bush Tries Subliminal Advertising To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

> From CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley
> CNN slowed down a copy of the ad, and the word "RATS" clearly appeared on
> the screen in large, white letters superimposed over the words "The Gore
> Prescription Plan." In a fraction of a second, the word disappeared, and
> the words "BUREAUCRATS DECIDE" showed up in smaller letters. . . .
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/09/12/bush.ad/index.html

Yep, it's pretty hard to miss. But there also seems to be a pretty innocent explanation: they flashed the word "Bureaucrats" in huge letters before they shrunk it down (something they did throughout the commercial to produce the effect of words tumbling onto the screen). And when Bureaucrats is blown up really large, all you see is the last four letters.

I wonder whose tapehead is going to roll for that one.

Michael

===== ====================================== Yahoo is my way around the firewall at work. Use the Default Reply to write me back at mpollak at panix.com