Nader, pro and con

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 14 10:01:32 PDT 2000

Carl Remick quoted Richard Goldstein:

>Then there's the Nader gender gap. Men are twice as likely as women
>to back him – a margin that pretty much matches Bush's."

Back when I wrote for the Voice they had pretty good factcheckers; evidently in these leaner times they don't. The latest Gallup numbers <http://www.gallup.com/Election2000/demographic.asp> have 4% of women for Nader, and 3% of men. These numbers bounce around, but I suspect we've got small samples, statistical noise, and rounding errors at work, but no significant gender gap in his support. There does seem to be a class and race gap; he's got 7% of college grads, and 2% of those with no college; 4% of whites, and 1% of "non-whites." Nader's support is overwhelmingly Western: 9%, vs. 1% in the East, 2% in the South, and 4% in the Midwest. Nader's support declines with age.

2/1 is as wrong for Bush too: Bush leads Gore 48 to 42 among men, which is 1.14/1; Gore leads Bush among women, 56 to 35.

Doug