W's speech

Thu Sep 14 08:40:59 PDT 2000

>>> "BB&JR" <brownruggia at earthlink.net> 07/31/00 04:48PM >>>

>>> ForstaterM at umkc.edu 09/13/00 01:30PM >>>
But there's more than that, I think. When I heard him say "subliminable" on the radio, I got the distinct feeling that what he was going for was "if I can't even pronounce it, there is no way I can be guilty of employing it in a commercial." Mat

> >Bush made it clear he does not endorse subliminal messages.
The term itself
> >gave him trouble all day, repeatedly coming out as
''subliminable.''

This mislocution does not bode well. The successfully muddle- mouthed examples of Reagan and Bush the Elder made it clear that many voters believe it important that a candidate appears imbecilic to non-voters, and those voters vote accordingly.

CB: There was a related thread a while back, discussing the Bushes as smart but perhaps authentically anti-intellectual, the examples of rich Yale graduates who are anti-intellectual all the way to the bank (CEO).

I still think there is a bit of putting it on by both Bushes, in order to reap the benefits of the Reagan muddle-mouthed method or anti-egghead. But Reagan had to have the cooperation of the monopoly-media. He wouldn't look like a moviestar, cowboy anti-stiff shirt , if the main media had not framed his quips and Jack Benny style, silent, funny-look jokes just right. The monopoly media also gave him his general teflon image.

Suddenly, the monopoly media is playing W's "dumb" image as a sort of liability for being president. after not doing so for the many months of the campaign so far. I think Doug circulated an article mentioning the "too stupid to be president factor" is now in play. They have been dumbing down on dubya in the last two or three weeks.

Also, note the RATS issue had to be exposed by somebody fairly sophisticated in media technology; and Bush's confrontation in calling a New York Times writer an asshole ON MIKE has media minions in several key roles.