abortion

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 21:26:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/14/00 4:09:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

<< Lots of pro-Gore lefties are making the argument that a vote for

Nader is a vote to end abortion. Here's the history of U.S.

abortions, according to the CDC (the 1997 numbers are preliminary).

The rate of abortions actually declined more quickly during the

Clinton years than during the Reaganbush years. This is not to argue

that a high abortion rate is good in itself, and I'm sure there are

lots of complications behind these numbers, but still...

I am not pro-Gore, but like the Cockburn argument that Gore had an antichoice voting record way back when, the suggestion that a Democratic victory would threaten abortion rights strikes me as misguided. Gore is now prochoice; he will appoint prochoice Justices. Bush won't. Better attack Gore in areas where he really is vulnerable, and there are lots of them --jks