abortion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 15 08:59:18 PDT 2000

JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>I am not pro-Gore, but like the Cockburn argument that Gore had an antichoice
>voting record way back when, the suggestion that a Democratic victory would
>threaten abortion rights strikes me as misguided. Gore is now prochoice; he
>will appoint prochoice Justices. Bush won't. Better attack Gore in areas
>where he really is vulnerable, and there are lots of them --jks

Access to abortion has been shrinking despite the fact that it's still legal. I want to hear a good explanation of why the decline in the abortion rate accelerated during the Clinton years over the Reaganbush years. I suspect it's financing and the shrinking number of providers - about which Clinton has done nothing. So despite the rhetorical differences, access to abortion has been dwindling, and I think the differences between the two parties is exaggerated to scare women into voting for Gore.

Doug